Transition Year offers students an opportunity to develop a broad range of social, personal and academic skills. It gives them the opportunity to reach a greater maturity to face the Leaving Certificate and make decisions for the future.It gives them time and space to mature, develop and grow in confidence. It extends the learning experience outside the classroom, by giving them experience of the world of work.Work experience is a very important element of the year. Students go on three one week Work Experience blocks, which they choose themselves. This experience provides them with a natural and realistic base on which to make informed choices for the future. Students are assessed on all aspects of their work and receive Christmas and Summer School Reports. As well as the academic programme, other activities are included on the curriculum to broaden the students’ perspective on education and life. The following are some examples:
- Three – four day Outdoor Pursuits Activity
- Two day residential retreat
- Workshops on Art, Interior Design, Gardening, Public Speaking, Music and Media Studies.
- Production of “Spectrum”, the school Magazine.
- One-week experience of the Tourism Industry, by working in Kelly’s Hotel as part of the tourism programme awarded by C.E.R.T.
- All students enter the Bronze section of the President’s Gaisce Awards.
- Workshop on Law, conducted by a member of the Law Library.
- I.T. course leading to E.C.D.L. Certification.
- Visiting guest speakers are invited to speak on a wide range of issues.
At the end of the year, students are presented with a certificate from the school. External validated certificates are presented to students who have reached the required standard.
Transition year 2019 2020
Information for parents of incoming TY students for the academic year 2019 2020